luni, 9 mai 2011

Why do I still like EU?

Lately, Europe seemed just complicated to me, at least from the Romanian perspective. First, the EU funding does not go well for Romania, we seem to be incapable of even accessing the money, let alone using it right and having an impact. Second, the French presindent actually doesn't seem to give a crap on the freedom of movement directive and sends some roma back to their countries - as far as I understand, discrimination and racism are not european values. Or maybe they are just hidden behind the politically corectness frenzy? And do trust me, I can understand action against illegal activities and I don't think it was the case here. Third, and not at all the last but the latest, Greece might want to give up the Euro currency. EU won't allow that, of course, but I still think it's a huuuuge question mark for how things go with the EU.

Today we should celebrate Europe and I thought I had no reason to. But then again, I sort of do. With all the leftist stuff, with all the beurocracy, I stil like Europe. First because of all the human reasons like getting to travel a lot with cheap flights, having the option to move around and get a job somewhere else and also because in the end I make a living thanks to EU and their funds, as malfunction as they are. Second, and that is today's sad discovery, I like Europe because I do not trust my own government. I do not know yet if I trust Europe, but in terms of degrees, it is so much better than the national government. I do not want to chear for Europe, I want to keep myself critical towards it, but honestly, it seems like the only hope for Romania to really grow up already and start showing some results.

Then again, I can see some results - things really improved in most of the policy areas and public services if we are to compare Romania 2011 with Romania 2000 for example - but at such slow pace that it makes you want to just leave it behind to develop at its own speed and you go your own speed and that's that!

Niciun comentariu: